My Family

My Family

Sunday, May 26, 2013

There's no crying in baseball!

"There's no crying in baseball", I feel like one of Tom Hanks best lines ever!  It's from the movie A League of Their Own, and there is a scene where one of his players comes into the dugout from making a bad play and the coach (Tom Hanks) scolds hers in a funny but mean way, as he walks away he notices she starts to cry and says, " are you, crying, are you crying, ..........There's no crying in baseball!!!!!!!" I love it and chuckle every time I see. Well, that has become my new phrase I use to family. " there's no crying in Team Tommy"! It's meant to be light and funny, and I understand the tears from my loved ones, I have had some tears myself, but my point in saying that is because we can't control the uncontrollable, meaning, why worry about something that may or may not happen, why lead a sad life, or get upset, or put things on hold?  Control what we can control.  I have cancer, it was out of my control, but I can control if I want to be happy, laugh, smile, go on, fight, forgive, forget, repent, teach, love, sleep(haha), hope, want, desire, dream, study, build, play, grow, etc. I want  my loved ones to express themselves however they want, even if if means crying, but its hard to cry if we take a few moments out of our day, EVERY day and really, really count your blessings, the cry will turn into a cry of gratitude and thankfulness once we realize it!

I am so gratefully for what I have.  In a selfish way, my diagnosis has blessed me with amazing experiences, put special people in my life, given me special, spiritual moments. I'm seeing things and people as with a new set of eyes.  My wife isn't my wife, she's the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me and she is truly my eternal companion, I want to be by her side ALWAYS.  My kids are not my kids, they are the source for my purest joy and love, they are my God given responsibility to raise, nurture, love and build, they are my babies and my eternal family.  All family isn't just family, they are rocks in my foundation of strength, they are a love and support group.  They are selfless, they are fighters and friends.  They are my everything!  Friends aren't just friends, they are an extension of what I hope for, they love me through good or bad, they fight FOR me and lift me up when I am too weak to do it!  The gospel isn't just nice stories and warm fuzzies to me, it's Everything!  It's what makes miracles happen, it's what allows me to be strong and have a clear perspective of the eternities, it's the means for me to have relationships with my Heavenly Family, and it's the reason I can know that I have a Brother who KNOWS what I am going through and has already asked me to place my burden on Him.  I am humbled but I am strong because of my amazing support team.  Team Tommy isn't just a cute name, it lifts me, it helps me, it humbles me!!  Thank you everybody, I love you all!! There's no crying in Team Tommy, well, maybe a little!! We got this!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are a blessing to me, Tom! I thank God for the message you pass on to me through your blog entries. I'm sure you have touched the heart of many around you, as they are there for you. I'm getting ready for the famous "We Got This 5K!" Prayers for you and your family all the way from Oregon.
    Lois Molyneux

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to be amazed and inspired by your positive attitude. Thank you! We are praying for Team Tommy. Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete