My Family

My Family

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Huntsman visit #1

It's time for an update.  I met with one of my oncologists today at Huntsman for the first time, and I must say, it was very positive.  They had my MRI with them and he counted 40+ growths of melanoma formed in my brain, a few more than we thought, :) but it doesn't change the goal and determination I have towards it. We have a planning session with two oncologists to set up a treatment plan for the growths in my shoulder, neck, and stomach, but I will begin radiation for my brain on Thursday.  I am going to lose my hair :), not  a huge deal as I have shaved my head multiple times in my day.  The symptoms aren't horrible, for the most part, obviously everyone reacts different but it should be pretty tolerable.  After my radiation treatments, the other treatments, ( chemo, etc.) begins.  At this time no more surgery is needed. (Fingers crossed)!

The doctor said today, " melanoma is tricky, we don't try to cure the disease, we try and control it."  I've thought about that a bunch today, I feel like I have been put in this position for a reason.  I am not quite sure what that is, but I have had a special spirit with me the past couple weeks that has been so special and needed.  My amazing brother in law sent me this quote:
"Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously.  When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that The Lord feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish you for everlasting benefit." -Richard G. Scott

I love this so much, I feel blessed and almost honored that I have a chance to grow and become a better man through this trial.  I love that I can spend so much time focused on my little family, feeling the love of so many, and watching the many miracles in my life.  Thank you for your support!  We got this!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow Tom! Your attitude is such an inspiration! I agree there can be no testimony without the test! I have no doubt that The Lord loves you and your amazing family. We love you guys too! You got this- but in the mean time, we're here to support 100%!! -love Kara and Travis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom and Brandy.... Such a wonderful quote! Thanks for sharing that and your trial with all of us and giving US a chance to grow and be better people too through any service we can do! Our offer of cabin time up in Timberlakes (Heber), just to get away for an evening or two with your little family, or extended family, is still OPEN! We are up there cleaning this weekend, but any time after Memorial Day is open to you! We hope that offering a little getaway from it all will brighten your day and give you some needed rest from it all! Hugs, Aunt LaVon and Uncle Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom.... your optimism is awesome and very uplifting. I'll be praying for you and your family. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Tom! Love that quote. I am amazed at the family strength that you have all around you. Very uplifting. You and Brandy are in our prayers daily and hearts as well. Know that my family as well as the whole CH5h crew is ready and willing to support in any way. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, I love your positive attitude and the quote. STRENGTH is your name!!! Keep munching on the green leafs and green veggies! Jake Morris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone who reads or hears about you, Brandy, and your family and your journey so far are instantly better people!! We love you guys and praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete