My Family

My Family

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Miracles

Tonight I have a very heavy heart and mind.  My little brother said it best.."three weeks ago one of my biggest concerns was my golf swing and now.....:)" It's amazing how different things look to me right now.  It's humbling as I see a hand, greater than mine, orchestrating this new journey!  When I was first told that I had some "cancerous looking cells"  I knew right away, that this wasn't going to be basic.  I had that feeling, I knew.  We were told so many different things in such a small window that it became stressful.  I just wanted to know, I wanted to start my battle and I wanted to know my opponent.  Well, now I know.  I know who I'm going against.  I am going to share it with you the way is was taught to me, not the medical terms......you're welcome! :) I have been diagnosed with an advanced, stage 4 melanoma.  They removed a pretty good sized mass in my armpit.  We got all the scan results back and I have a few more affected areas in my torso and back area.  The Gut punch came when out of nowhere, I was told that they have also found at least 5 tumors in my brain. That one I wasn't completely ready for.  I have multiple appointments with the Huntsman Inst. next week, and my surgeon spoke directly to the oncologist who would be working with me, and he was very optimistic.......whatever that means:) So the fight begins!  I felt for the first time, maybe ever, what it means for me to know that I have an eternal family, because in an instant mortality became so fragile and now seemed like I'm "on the clock".  Many years ago there was a famous saying during a very important (sure) athletic event.  The term used as the underdogs were about to win was: "do you believe in miracles?" Now, I feel offended that such a phrase was used to try and capture an athletic event, an event so irrelevant to our individual lives.  On the flip side, many people do not believe in miracles unless it's magical, or mystical.   Out of this world if you will, maybe another parting of the red sea?  Again, such a sad hope or vision of a miracle.  Let me tell you what I think are miracles and you can take some time to count the hundreds in your life later.  A miracle is a wife who lost her mother and sister at an early age, finds out her husband has cancer and is "allowed" to sleep like a baby during one of the hardest weeks in our marriage.  A miracle is when I get hundreds and hundreds of emails, texts, calls messages etc. telling me that I am on the prayer list for people of all different faiths, because they love someone who loves me! A miracle is a brother or sister who put their own families aside for a moment to make sure their brother KNOWS they love him.  A miracle is when I have been given strength beyond my own to look at only the positives, not the negatives in this situation.  The miracle is of a father who works harder than anyone I know who fasts, multiple times, for his son, but has the strength to work and provide for his family. A miracle is a mother of a special needs daughter that goes through more pain and anguish than most of us can imagine, and still has time and energy to do anything she can for her brother.  Do I believe in miracles?  YES!!! Because I know them when I see them and I will not ignore what they truly are in my life.........MIRACLES!!!  Thank you everybody, I love you all!! We got this!!

17 comments:

  1. Tom and Brandy...You inspire me!! We love your family and we are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for you and your sweet family. Your courage, love and faith are an inspiration to me. I too truly believe in miracles and know the Lord is on your side. Love to you, Brandy and your precious kids.

    The Culleys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom and Brandy and family. Thank you for sharing in such an inspiring way...even in this VERY difficult time for you both personally. We are all praying for you guys and your little family. Be strong together and know we are all behind you 100% Take courage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, Brandy, Ry, Cam, Trey, and Ty --- We love the whole crew! You got this Tom! With your competitive fighter attitude and the amazing woman and family at your side. I believe you are right when you said cancer sure picked a fight -- you will fight back with everything you got and then some! We are all here to support, love, and lift you through this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family every minute of every day. We love you!
    --- Moen Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, You're such an example of faith and hope. You've got this! I've never known a Henry to back down from a fight! Take care of yourself and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers as you fight this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Your testimony and faith in life has always inspired me. Miracles do happen and we will continue to pray for them to happen for you and your family at this time. Love your family and have an extra special place in my heart for Camryn since I got to work with her back in 1st grade. Tell her I love her and am thinking of her at this tough time in her life. Keep fighting and we will keep praying for you and your family.
    Laurie Schaefer

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful, so eloquent, so humbling. Thank you for your words. Thank you for helping us all put things in perspective, as to what really matters. Just want you to know all of the Herifords are #teamtommy praying for the best everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We believe in miracles!
    The Clegg fam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable my man! Thank you for putting that out there and for giving me a solid dose of reality and perspective. We love your wife, we love your girls, we love your boys and we love you! There is nothing we wouldn't do to help you and your beautiful family out right now. You are absolutely in our thoughts and prayers Tom. You got this brother!!! You got this!!!

    The West's

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing that... very humbling to read...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are so amazing! Your strength and faith is such an incredible example to so many Tom!!! We love and are praying for you!! Team Tommy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're blowin'up!!! I love to read your posts! I have had many calls from friend who are so concerned for you guys. I'm so glad you are feeling the power of all the prayers on your behalf. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Richard G. Scott ~ "I wonder if we can ever really fathom the immense power of prayer until we encounter an overpowering, urgent problem and realize that we are powerless to resolve it. Then we will turn to our Father in humble recognition of our total dependence on Him. It helps to find a secluded place where our feelings can be vocally expressed as long and as intensely as necessary.
    I have done that. Once I had an experience that caused me immense anxiety. It had nothing to do with disobedience or transgression but with a vitally important human relationship. For some time I poured my heart out in urgent prayer. Yet try as I might, I could find no solution, no settling of the powerful stirring within me. I pled for help from that Eternal Father I have come to know and trust completely. I could see no path that would provide the calm that is my blessing generally to enjoy. Sleep overcame me. When I awoke, I was totally at peace. Again I knelt in solemn prayer and asked, “Lord, how is it done?” In my heart, I knew the answer was His love and His concern for me. Such is the power of sincere prayer to a compassionate Father." April 2007 General Conference

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tom,
    Shelby told me about your blog today and I feel so blessed to be able to read it. You are truly inspirational to Chet and I. Please know that our prayers are with you and that we love you and your family. You can do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings during this time. This has been so unreal for me. Though we're neighbors, I've really only talked to your fabulous wife. But I do see the comings and goings daily of you and your family so you seem like family to us, in a way. We have had so many heartfelt chats over here pondering on these ideas you're sharing and re-evaluating our priorities. I am sad that you have to go through this but thankful for your generosity in sharing. We pray nightly for all of you. We are on call for you guys if you need anything (free babysitting, a meal, etc). Just ask. Anytime. The Botts are rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow.. reading this brought a flood of emotions. Thanks for sharing. I don't know you ... but I care.

    ReplyDelete