My Family

My Family

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Only One Set

The past week or so has been amazing!  We had the first annual Team Tommy golf tourney which was a huge success and we also had the 5k for my sister in law and myself, also amazing.  It's so humbling to see the support from so many loving, thoughtful, and selfless people.  Saying thank you is  the only thing I can do because I cant even start to give back my love and appreciation to so many people.  So, Thank You!!

I need to share something that made the week even more special.  I am in the process of going through 2 treatments right now, and I've got to say, it kicked my behind a little bit.  I was in bed for about a week straight.  The golf tourney was on a Tuesday, and my worst day by far was on the previous Monday.  I was pretty sick, tired, weak, and earlier my wife and I decided that I would just show up for a few minutes at the start of the tourney and go to my parents and sleep, and then come back for the final few minutes.  This was Saturday and Sunday.  By Monday I had told my wife that there is no way I can go.  She even called my Mom, without me knowing, and said just go on with the tourney, but that I most likely wouldn't be there. I was sad.  I wanted to be there, see people, get out.  But it wasn't looking good.  I prayed.  I prayed hard.  When I woke up on Tuesday, things were different, I felt different.  I had some strength, I felt like I could at least go for the beginning.  I got up, and got ready.  I got to the course and as soon as I stepped out of the car, I had strength beyond my own.  I was able to stay for the entire event.  Now, this seems small, but I need to tell you, it wasn't!  I was immediately reminded of the famous "Footprints" poem:

 
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,
‘You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?’
The Lord replied,
‘The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.’

I look at this poem a lot different now.  We can all relate with the thoughts of the person dreaming, "this is hard", "where are you", "I can't do this" and many other things that we may have said in this life's journey. But have we forgotten where we come from and who's we are?   One of my favorite scriptures reads: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I m meek and lowly in heart, and ye shall find rest unto your souls, For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I didn't want to go to the golf event to watch golf.  I wanted to go for exactly what happened.  I had friends, family and strangers look me in the eyes and tell me they love me, tell me they are praying for me.  I was lifted by people who put their own world aside for a moment to make mine better.  I was carried, and I needed that.  Their was one set of prints that day, I could not do that on my own, it was impossible.  I was being carried that entire day.  As a matter of fact, when I look back "in the sand" from the day I was diagnosed, there has been only one set of prints.  I am so blessed!  I truly, truly love all of you.  You have know idea what you have meant to my family and myself.  Please, all of you, look back and notice the times there have been one set of prints.  We are children of a loving Father, he doesn't leave us alone!  Thanks everyone!! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you know how neat you are Tommy. You wear your heart and soul on your sleeve and it's pretty darn inspiring to live next to you, pass you in the halls, etc, etc. Your words are golden. Keep writing. Keep fighting.
    Peace, Paces

    ReplyDelete